Re-blogged from the web-log of Dr. Jim West.
The picture says it all: This is one of the main reasons the USA has never been, and probably will never be, an honest broker in this region, which would call for the application of even-handed, common-sense justice (not to mention the clear demands of international humanitarian law) to the festering problems of the Israeli-Palestinian impasse.
For all our largess (even if it were a worthy pursuit, which it’s not), how much leverage does America actually have over the policies and actions of Israel’s government? None — because we demand none. How much respect do we get from them in return? Even less — the Israelis consider Uncle Sam one big “freier” (modern Hebrew, from Yiddish), a pitiable sucker.
SEARCH my pages
NOTICE re: Haaretz articlesMany of my posts point via links to articles from Haaretz newspaper on-line. Most links should still work, however in 2012 Haaretz began offering much of its new content by subscription only. BUT anyone can access up to 6 articles per month for FREE by registering (not subscribing), at www.Haaretz.com. If you experience problems in this area, please let me know!
ARCHIVE of Posts, by month
Posts by general topic:
50 MOST RECENT POSTS
- Straight Talk on Gaza
- Going Hog Wild at Tel Shiloh
- The Bridge That Never Was
- Who Gets Your Tax Dollars For Their Military?
- Justice for Biram and Iqrit: A right-wing ideologue gets it (almost) right
- In spite of everything, this gives me hope…
- Baptist group to ‘wage peace’ in Palestine
- “Jerusalem” — Coming Soon to a Theater Near You (hopefully)
- Jerusalem’s Ramadan Cannon, Then & Now
- UPDATED | Nabi Samwil: Just beneath the surface, a thick layer of injustice
- Do Owls Bring Bad Luck? An ancient legend comes home to roost in modern Israel-Palestine
- UPDATED The Aqueducts of Bethlehem: An interactive map
- “Why Jerusalem Was Central to Mohammed” [plus a BONUS feature]
- Akiva Eldar: A Jewish-Israeli Voice Worth Listening To
- Deck the Halls, Ring in the New. Or not…
- In the Land of the Bible, where Water is Life Itself
- The White Soldier
- Down in the Patriarch’s Pool
- “Afghanistan” in Israel: Ultra-Orthodox severely damage Hamat Tiberias mosaic
- UPDATE — Google launches Street View in Israel – PHOTOS
- An Exodus from Egypt: IAA nabs ancient coffin lids in Jerusalem antiquities shops
- Israel Museum & Google team up to bring hi-res images on-line
- The Artist Wore Size 9: The case of the remarkable Lod mosaic
- Haaretz interview with archaeologist Ronny Reich
- People Planting Trees: Two stories in remarkable mirror image — PHOTOS & VIDEO
- 2,000-year-old Israeli date palm trumped by a 32,000-year-old Russian flower?
- Wind turbines and solar panels. Lambs, cisterns and peasant shacks: The destructive mania of the Occupation
- Tel Shiloh to get $4 million for new excavations, preservation and tourism development
- The Historic Valley Railway featured on a new Israeli stamp
- UPDATE — Important Ruins in the City of David — PHOTOS and VIDEO
- UPDATED: The Duke of Nablus
- The Holy Sepulchre through time: A new video of virtual history
- Royal Garden at Ramat Rachel Confirmed by Pollen
- UPDATED / Herod’s Tomb in Plastic: A Learning Aid, or “Disneyland”?
- The Excavations Beneath Jerusalem’s Redeemer Lutheran Church — PHOTOS
- The Disappearing Dome of the Rock
- Old City Odds ‘n Ends 2011-2012 — PHOTOS & UPDATES
- Stop the Presses! New Interpretation Offered of the Temple Seal
- Politicians + Archaeology = A Bad Mix. The Case of the Temple Purity Seal
- Silwan Tunnel Collapse Site — VIDEO
- Collapse of Silwan Tunnel Closes Recently-opened Underground Route
- Saint Nicola of the North
- Those Mysterious Marks in the City of David
- Galilee ‘Trail Wars’ heat up — “Jesus” vs. “Gospel”
- Israel’s National Library offers digitized collections via new web-site
- UPDATED “No one can force us to hate.”
- Up to the Temple Mount: Newly-Opened Section of Jerusalem’s Ancient Sewer — NEW PHOTOS
- Goodbye, “Hezekiah’s” Tunnel? Reich & Shukron’s Surprising New ‘Take’ on its Construction and Dating
- An Archaeological Turf War in the City of David
- Dead Sea Scrolls Go Digital: Israel Museum & Google launch new web-site